Tuesday, September 2, 2014

NY State Fair

I love the State Fair.  We went to the New York State Fair last year as a family and enjoyed it so we wanted to go again this year.  It is very convenient to have the state fair less than 30 minutes from our house.

I watched the forecast for the week very intently to see which days would be cool with no rain.  It just so happened that the best day for us was PERFECT weather.  The high for the day was 70 and in my mind that is perfect weather.  The kids wore shorts and t-shirts and complained of being cool at times.  Admittedly, in the shade it was cool, but it was SO much better than having it in the 80s where we would have been sweating.

We did some of the same activities as last year...i.e. seeing the animals, visiting the petting zoo, a cooking demonstration for me, but we also ventured out and did a few new things as well.  We went to the agriculture building and watched some demonstrations there.  They demonstrated soap, basket and dulcimer making. They also showed how a lathe works and how to spin flax.  It was pretty neat.  Kimball got to do a little hands on with the man running the lathe and it excited him.

Kimball helping the lathe man.  He worked very intently to keep the wood
spinning while doing the foot pedal.


Enthralled by all of the African masks.

Getting a feel for what it would be like to milk a cow.  This particulate cow just gave water.

Every now and then Kimball will see a truck that excites him.
 I guess in this case it can be the inflatable kind.

Our cute ears of corn.


Rebecah was very dependent on the stroller this year.  She refused to walk unless we forced
her to.  We just told her that next year she will be walking because the babies will be in the
stroller...a double stroller that is.  Here she is posing next to "Aurora's" spinning wheel.

The sand sculpture theme this year was Dr. Seuss. It was neat to read the
various quotes from his books and see the different Seuss creatures.


We also saw a wolf show this year and a few piglet races.  I just love the environment that comes with the fair.  I find the rides the most expensive and boring part of the day.  We usually go to the rides at the end of the day when we start getting tired anyway, but let's face it...standing around while your kids are on the rides is just plain boring.  We were party poopers but there was only time for the kids to ride one ride before we went to the wolf show.

The fair is now over, but we look forward to going next year.  I did see a few parents pushing around double strollers with twins and I kept thinking next year that will be Joseph and me.  I'm just glad the weather was cool and my doctor had no reservations about me attending the fair.   I would have felt very left out if I hadn't been able to go.

No comments: