Friday, June 13, 2014

Trip to Vermont

Joseph is great about finding medical conferences to attend where he can take me with him.  Let's face it, it is more fun to travel if you have someone to go with you.  Joseph wanted me to go with him on a trip since our Washington D.C. trip was snowed out and because we won't be going anywhere by ourselves for the next few years after these babies come.

Joseph decided on a medial conference in Burlington, Vermont and I thought it sounded like fun.  I made arrangements for the kids to stay with friends and they had a great time.  Both of them were disappointed when we got back to town earlier than we originally thought.  I'm glad the kids had fun since we were having fun without them.

Our first stop was Sharon, Vermont to see the birthplace of Joseph Smith.  
This picture was a special request from my sister, Sharon.  She wanted us to get a picture of a Sharon, VT sign.  We almost missed the sign but Joseph was able to swerve off the road, safely, so we could snap this picture.

Joseph and me in front of the monument.  This monument was put here in 1905
celebrating the 100th anniversary of Joseph Smith's birth.

These rocks outline the dimensions of the home where Joseph was born and the location
on the property.  The stone in the front of the picture is the original door step.

This picture is for all of you inquiring minds who want to know what I look like at 20 weeks pregnant with twins.  I admit I look small in this picture, but I don't feel that small.  I can't promise too many belly shots once I'm farther along.  :  )

This fenced area holds the remains of the rock foundation and cellar for the Solomon Mack
home located about a mile from the monument.

These stone bridges were very popular in the early 1800s and these are the
original rocks that formed the bridge here.

A nice church that we saw from the top of the parking garage.
 Since the weather was nice Joseph wanted to eat outside so we ate at this Italian place.  A boy was playing his violin on the walkway across from us so we enjoyed some nice dinner music.
Our first night in Burlington we ate here.  It was pretty good Italian.  My meal was good, but I think I was just in the mood for a different type of food because it didn't really hit the spot.

As we sat outside we saw quite a few pregnant women pass who were close to their due date and Joseph always kindly said that my belly would be as big as theirs were in 3 weeks or 4 days of what ever struck his fancy.

Walkway with fun shops and restaurants.

On day 2 we took a tour of Lake Champlain Chocolates.  This needed a post all its own so stay tuned.  We also had lunch at Shanty on the Shore.  Joseph wanted seafood and a place that overlooked the lake.  We found the perfect place.  Unfortunately, I couldn't partake of anything fun in the restaurant.  My doctor wants me to avoid all fish and seafood.  I played it safe although I really wanted the blacked salmon.  I felt rather boring just ordering a chicken sandwich....the only non-seafood item on the menu.

Joseph went to class in the afternoon and then it started raining.  It rained the rest of our trip.  I was disappointed that we never got to walk along the boardwalk that paralleled the lake.  I guess that just means we need to return to Burlington again.  Our drive home was wet but uneventful.

I enjoyed getting away with Joseph.  It is always fun to reconnect as a couple for a few days.

1 comment:

Holley said...

Love seeing pictures of you--you're beautiful! At least post a belly pic at the end of the pregnancy. :) Looks like a fun trip. I would love to see church sites, but we live on the wrong side of the country!