Saturday, June 14, 2014

Lake Champlain Chocolates

When we decided to go to Burlington I looked up things to do and I found a free tour of the Lake Champlain Chocolates factory.  I was super excited about it and Joseph was less so.  I planned on going while he was in class, but then he decided not to attend the boring class before lunch so he came with me.  I can honestly say that I was looking forward to this tour more than anything else in Burlington.  As we walked in the door we were hit with the wonderful aroma of chocolate!  It made me think of this line from Frozen..."What's that amazing smell...CHOCOLATE!"

The tour wasn't much of a tour.  We just sat and listened to the history of the company, how chocolate is harvested and processed and what is made in the factory.  We sat next to the windows that overlook the factory so we could watch the workers making chocolate.  I didn't learn much new information, although I was surprised to hear that they keep their factory the same temperature as the store.  I would have thought that it would be cooler.  I guess consistent temperature keeps the chocolate from turning "ashy".  

We had a sample of the three types of chocolate...white, milk and dark.  We also got a sample of the second highest selling chocolate....the 5 Star Bar.  The bar was so yummy.  An entire bar is about 2 inches long, 1 inch high and 1 inch wide and it sold for $3.99.  That is an expensive bar.  All of the chocolate is expensive at this company but it is good quality.  There is a "seconds" area of the store where they sell chocolate that doesn't pass quality control.  Even at 50% off the chocolate is still sold for $21/lb.  I bought some chocolate bars to give to the host families for watching our children.  I figured it isn't chocolate they would usually have access to.  It was my lucky day because almost all of the chocolate was 50% off that day.  

One of my sisters asked if it was good chocolate and I really think it is.  Joseph and my children apparently don't have expensive tastes in chocolate because they didn't care for it as much as I did.  It could also be that I bought dark chocolate and they prefer milk chocolate.  I just told them if they didn't like it then don't waste the chocolate!

A view into the factory.  The center of the picture shows the 4 tempering vats where they temper the chocolate.

Other side of the factory where they form the bars and make the caramel for the bars.

In the shop.

No comments: