Saturday, June 5, 2010

How Does He Do It?

Kimball never ceases to amaze me. He is very clued in to things that are important to him. He can recognize cars like you wouldn’t believe. A few weeks ago he started pointing out all of the Toyota Corollas and saying “That looks like Grandma and Grandpa’s car”. They have a Corolla. What really amazed me was that even more recently he said “That looks like my “Jonathan” car”. (Jonathan, Joseph’s brother, gave Kimball a toy Mustang when they visited in February. It’s about an inch and a half long. The only reason I knew it was a mustang was from the box.) Kimball saw a real Mustang car and was able to make the connection between his toy car and the real thing.

Jonathan car not pictured.



Here is another “how does he do it” moment:

Recently he wanted to listen to the song “Happy Wanderer” from one of his children’s songs CDs. He has 8 of these CDs and I had NO clue which CD it was on and we were driving in the car. I asked him what color of CD it was on and he said “orange”. I had no clue but if the orange CD would fit the bill, fine by me. I put the CD in and we went about our errands. We were almost home and we had gone through 17 of the 25 songs and we still hadn’t heard “Happy Wanderer”. I thought maybe he really didn’t know what CD it was on and just said the orange one as a guess. I decided to skip through the rest of the CD just to see. Sure enough, song 24 of the 25 was “Happy Wanderer”. I don’t know how he knew, but he did. I only know the beginning song on each CD, but Kimball apparently knows every song and which CD it belongs to.

Kimball loves this song and he’ll be singing the chorus in the store or in the middle of the night. He has done the middle of the night serenade a couple of times now. Thankfully, Rebecah and Joseph don’t mind. I’m the only one who hears it.

Here are the words to the song.
Happy Wanderer

I love to go a-wandering
Along the mountain track
I love to go a-wandering,
My knapsack on my back
Valdaree, valdarah, valdaree,
Valdarah-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha
Valdaree, valdarah,
My knapsack on my back.

I love to wander by the stream,
It dances in the sun
So joyously, it calls to me;
“Come join my happy song.”
Valdaree, valdarah, valdaree,
Valdarah-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha
Valdaree, valdarah,
My knapsack on my back.


I wave my hats to all I meet,
And they wave back to me
And blackbirds call so loud and
Sweet from every wooded tree
Valdaree, valdarah, valdaree,
Valdarah-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha
Valdaree, valdarah,
My knapsack on my back.

Oh, may I go a-wandering until
The day I die
Oh, may I always laugh and sing
Beneath God’s clear blue sky.
Valdaree, valdarah, valdaree,
Valdarah-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha
Valdaree, valdarah,
My knapsack on my back.

No comments: