Tuesday, March 7, 2017

White Out Weekend

On February 18th we took a trip up North to visit Clifton-Fine in the Adirondack region of New York.  Each year they host a winter festival called "White Out Weekend".  People here tend to get a little tired of the snow by February so I love how this little community holds a winter festival to celebrate Winter and to do something fun to make it through until April.  (We probably haven't lived here long enough to really get tired of Winter so February hasn't beaten us down too much.  This year was really mild so the snow didn't weigh too heavily on our minds.)
We drove about 2 hours to get to this little community to enjoy some of the free activities.  There was a train set up in the "old school house" with coloring, a train table and free popcorn and hot chocolate.

The train display is in the back.

At the public school there were various booths set up with crafts for kids.  Some of them were educational and some were just for fun. There was also a little zoo show with some animals.  I saw a porcupine for the first time in my life.  There was also a roach/beetle of some kind (I didn't get close enough to find out), a snake, and a turkey vulture.  

It was a really mild day with temps in the 40s and 50s.  No coats needed!  Since the day was so warm the curling events were canceled.  We were really disappointed because we wanted to see curling in person.  Outside at the school there were dogs giving sled rides.  If I were any smaller I would have gotten in line!  I want a dogsled ride!  Kimball and Rebecah experienced it for me though.

They get a lot more snow up North!!

Princess Rebecah taking a ride!

Kimball's turn!
Our last stop was the fire station.  They had trucks to explore and a little obstacle course for the kids.  They had to drag a fire suit, throw a safety rope, whack a piece of wood with a mallet, drag some hose, and shoot a football off a cone with a small fire hose.  The big kids AND little kids enjoyed this. 

Annika whacking the wood while Lincoln pulls the fire suit!  

It was actually pretty heavy!

Lincoln was THRILLED to be able to shoot the football with the water!!

Kimball and Rebecah exploring the truck.

Kimball throwing the safety rope.

Everyone had a great time and we hope to find another winter festival next year.

1 comment:

Music City Coffeys said...

I LOVED that your kids were able to experience a dog sled ride. I'm so jealous! Those dogs looked massive.