Tuesday, June 4, 2013

His and Her Time

This weekend was the annual father/son camp out that Joseph and Kimball always attend.  It was a good opportunity for us to spend individual time with the kids.  We always have individual time with them each day, but this was an extended version since the men were gone overnight.

Rebecah was happy to have me all to herself.  I didn't want her to feel left out that she couldn't go camping so I told her we would do special things and have something special for breakfast.  I let her pick our breakfast and our activities.

Rebecah decided that she wanted muffins for breakfast.  [Just as an aside...This week we had some cupcakes around and they look similar to muffins and after eating her cupcake Rebecah looked at me and said:  "Cupcakes taste better than muffins."  I also told her that cupcakes aren't as good for our bodies and that is why she only gets 1 cupcake where sometimes she gets two muffins.]  Anyway,  Rebecah first wanted pumpkin muffins, but I didn't want 48 muffins staring me in the face all weekend so I suggested she think of a different kind and then she requested bran muffins.  So we made bran muffins with dried cranberries in them. The cranberries were a nice touch and MUCH better than adding raisins.


All smiles helping with the muffins.

Watching The Backyardigans on a sleeping bag so Rebecah can "feel" like she is camping.

Playing Candy land.  I love playing Candy land with Rebecah because she gets so excited over
any "special" card.  She doesn't care if she is close to winning and gets the cupcake card because
it is just so exciting to turn over the special cards.  She cheered when I won and she cheered
when she won.  What a good sport!

Eating one of our muffins.

The men had fun camping even though they got a later start than Joseph wanted.  Joseph had switched working shifts so he could go camping with Kimball, but he still ended up working an 11 hour day.  He threw things in the car as quickly as he could...so quickly that they forgot the sleeping bags.  Good thing it was only a low of 67 overnight.

All sticky!  Kimball was rather messy after eating his roasted marshmallows,
but that is the fun of camping and marshmallows.

You can just make out a tiny red dot and a blue dot in this picture.
Kimball and his friend, Dash, were on a hike together.

Nice shady camping spot. It was actually a hot day for Syracuse so the shade was enjoyed.

Dash trying to catch his stick on fire.  Kimball is hiding behind the smoke.

Listening to the message from President Joseph B Wirthlin, Jr,
 the president of the Utica, NY mission.

It was a great weekend.  I'm sure we will enjoy another similar weekend next year when the men do the Father/Son camping trip and the ladies stay home.

No comments: