Friday, May 31, 2013

Joseph's Birthday

Last week Joseph turned 32.  For some reason he has wanted to be 32 for the last 3 years.  I don't quite understand it, but now he can live his dream!  Joseph had taken the week off from work so we enjoyed having him home all week.  It was actually a working birthday because he and I finished painting our family room the morning of his birthday.  You can see the evidence of our painting in the background of the pictures.

I felt like I didn't really do anything to make Joseph's birthday special because our week was so busy, but Joseph said he had a good day and enjoyed his presents.  I did put up the birthday decorations and the presents were wrapped!  I also wasn't very excited about the presents he wanted so maybe that was why I didn't feel it was special.  I thought he wanted "boring" stuff, but maybe now I know how he feels when he complains about my birthday wishes!


"Fancy" new camping pants that turn into shorts.



Joseph gave me the best compliment by saying that my dinner was better than eating at a restaurant 
and that we would have paid at least $40 for our family to eat out for food of lesser quality.  I totally agree and that it why I almost always prefer to eat at home rather than going out to eat.  I always end up disappointed with my food from a restaurant.  We had Joseph's standard birthday fare--chicken enchiladas, homemade refried beans and rice.  


All Joseph's plate needed was a little tomato for color but he
wouldn't let me put any on.  His loss! Tomatoes are heavenly.
Even dessert was not birthday-ish to me since Joseph just wanted banana splits.  In my opinion, ice cream at birthdays is not necessary.  I'm not a big fan of "cake and ice cream" unless it is an ice cream cake.  If I'm making an amazing birthday treat, which I usually do, why mess with a good thing by adding ice cream. This year Joseph didn't even bother with the "good thing" and just went straight to ice cream this year.  The banana splits were good, but I think I'll stick to a more traditional dessert for my birthday.   .  I think more than anything, I just didn't get to show my love for Joseph by making him a nice dessert.  Making nice food and desserts is one way I express my love for my family so just having ice cream made me feel a little cheated.  I did try to make it feel "special" for me by making a strawberry sauce instead of just opening a can of pie filling.

Ready to make a wish and eat!

We love Joseph and we are so glad he is the husband and father in our family.  He does a great job supporting our family and the kids love the time he spends with him.


1 comment:

Holley said...

Jake always wants store bought white cake-blah! I didn't know that Joseph and I were the same age, at least when my birthday comes around soon. The dinner you made looks amazing!