Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Recovery Phase II: Two Weeks Later

I think I have made a lot of progress in the past two weeks since Joseph removed my stitches. I am able to fully extend my arm and then bend it up to my shoulder. I really had to work at this to stretch the muscles back out. If I keep my arm in the same position too long it is quite stiff when I change position. I stretch it every day to try to keep it moving. Joseph said the stiffness will probably last until the swelling goes away in my elbow which could take months.
My arm just after having the stitches removed.
Two weeks later. My arm is still ugly, but I think it looks much better. The first three fingers on my hand are slowly getting stronger. I was able to push the button on my stand mixer with my left hand on Monday, before that I was too weak and I had to use my right hand. I'll be happy when I'm finally strong enough to push the red button on Rebecah's car seat to release the bottom clasps. I can do my own ponytail now and put my shirts on normally again. I'm sure all of these accomplishments seem rather silly and insignificant to most of you, but they have been huge milestones for me. My last two fingers are still numb, still painful and still weak. At my post-op appointment, Dr. Allison said this could all last 6 months to a year. That feels like an eternity, but hopefully it all will get better. It is frustrating to be trying to spread my fingers apart and straining as hard as I can and my fingers hardly move. Patience, is what I'm learning in addition to other lessons.

2 comments:

ionamin-W8FW8 said...

Until you've been through an ordeal like this, it is hard to understand how big the small accomplishments really are. Your arm looks a lot better. Patience! You'll get stronger.

Holley said...

Your arm looks so much better! What a scary experience. You're a trooper.