Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Dream Big Read!

Dream Big Read! That was the theme for the summer reading program this year. I don't really enjoyed taking the kids each week to the library during the summer because it is so crowded, but they really looked forward to it. We set a goal to read 50 different books this summer. We usually read our books multiple times so if we were counting actual books read our count would have been much higher. The kids got a t-shirt at the start of the program and then each week they got a cheap little prize.
One week the kids did get cups which they love using. Another week for a door prize Kimball won a water bottle. Rebecah didn't care at the time, but throughout the next week as Rebecah saw Kimball drinking from it she started to get jealous. I was SO relieved when Rebecah won the door prize the following week and got a water bottle. They love them so much!
The grand finale of the reading program was a music concert with Brian and Terri Kinder. They travel throughout the state putting on concerts for children singing songs that they have written. At the end of the concert more door prizes were given out. Kimball really wanted a prize, but there were probably 200 kids at the concert. I was so surprised when his name was called with just 6 prizes to go. He won a Kinder CD that is the safety CD the Kinders have made with songs about child safety. I was glad that Kimball's prize was something that Rebecah can enjoy too since she didn't win a prize. I was also glad that Kimball's prize was age appropriate since so many of them were geared toward older children.
Here are the kids with some of their reading program loot. It was so hard to take these pictures since the kids are always moving!

No comments: