Monday, September 5, 2011

Wrap Up

We really had a great time on our trip. I've never been to New York before and there are some things that we noticed about our trip:

There are caution signs warning about snowmobiles. I thought that was interesting.

The small towns are all called villages. So we would see signs that said: Entering the Village of Palmyra, or the Village of Pittsford or the Village of Macedon. I thought it was quaint that all of the small towns were villages. All of the villages were very nice and kept in good condition...it didn't matter if it were a tourist town like Palmyra or a small town that wouldn't attract many "out of towners". The people there must really love their history and their towns to take such good care of them. That is a definite difference from Missouri, Alabama, Arkansas or other small towns that I have driven through in the past.

I loved the old style of houses. There were some newer housing developments, but most people lived in nice older homes that had been restored or modernized but still look older.

Corn fields! I wasn't expecting so many cornfields. It must be a very fertile area for the corn to grow so well. On our drive back to Arkansas the corn fields we passed were scrawny when compared, probably do to the heat and lack of rain this summer.

The dirt up there is so dark, almost black! I must be so familiar with the red clay of the Midwest, but I don't remember ever seeing such dark rich soil that wasn't store bought.

Our dear little rental car. We rented an economy car since we knew we would be doing a lot of driving. We ended up with a Fiat 500. It was small, someone almost mistook it for a SmartCar. Joseph loved parking because he could fit into the smallest of spaces. The only disadvantage is that it was gutless. The cars couldn't wait to get around us when we started from a dead stop. It was an amusing part of our trip every day and provide us a lot of laughs.

We took this picture to show Kimball that we had a sun roof in our car. He learned about them recently and was very excited about it.



We had a great time on our trip. It was good for Joseph and me to have a trip away from the kids although we missed them a lot. We saw things all the time that reminded us of the kids. Fire trucks, huge dumpers that go on dump trucks, dogs, etc.

I really miss Palmyra. We loved being there. I don't know if I'm ready to move there, but it's tempting.

The kids had fun while we were away. Grandma took them to the Zoo, the park, McDonald's, and when it got too hot for those activities, they had fun things to do around the house. Kimball loved watching Tangled, Finding Nemo and Ratatouille.

We were all very happy to see each other at the end of the trip. Rebecah screamed and screamed at the airport when we left and it broke my heart. She was so happy to see me, and Joseph too. I sat in the back seat with the two kids on the way home from the airport and Rebecah would hug my arm, or give me kisses or just smile at me to make sure I was still there. It was sweet. She also wouldn't let me out of her sight and if I left the room without her she would scream. She is getting better now that we have been home a few days.

At the Zoo










At the Park
Is this a great picture! I think it is my favorite picture that Grandma sent to us while we were gone.



Cita loves slides.









Playing with the Foam Maker




Kimball with a beard!

1 comment:

Holley said...

What a great trip! Looks like you had a lot of fun. I'm jealous though. I really wanted to take a non-kid trip before this next baby comes. Instead Jake has to use that time to install gutters. Long story. Anyway, I'm glad you could go!!