Friday, August 5, 2011

Squash

I love squash. It is probably one of my favorite vegetables...spinach being the other one just because I can put frozen spinach in so many foods without really altering the taste of the food.

Anyway. I love squash and every year for the past 3 years I have tried to grow squash of one kind or another without success. This year I planted some yellow squash, butternut and green striped cushaw squash. I actually had some squash grow and I was very excited. Last night Joseph picked our 3 butternut squash and 2 of the 4 cushaw squash that we have growing. With the weather so hot and dry even though I watered twice a day some of the leaves and vines were dying.

The two cushaw squash were about 5 1/2 pounds and 8 1/2 pounds which are actually on the small size for cushaw. They can grow to be as heavy as 20 lbs.

I don't have a very green thumb at all but at least I finally got some squash. None of our tomato plants produced and we got only a few handfuls of green beans.

Here is a picture of my beauties.


Please notice in the picture that Kimball is actually looking at the camera. It is so hard to get him to look at the camera. He is also super dirty and sweaty because he had been helping Joseph work on our fence and play in the dirt.

2 comments:

Mom said...

Annette, you ought to send a link to your blog to G&G. They have highspeed now, and Grandpa would love to see your success!!!

Heather (Paralyzed with JOY!) said...

Annette, your squash look absolutely beautiful! Truly, picture perfect! I'm glad that you had success this year, even if it wasn't very plentiful.