Thursday, October 23, 2014

Announcing...

Our babies are finally here!  We really did have twins.  It has felt very surreal this entire pregnancy knowing that I was having two babies, but to actually see two babies is still mind boggling.

Lincoln Wirth Coffey was born via c-section October 16, 2014 at 9:50 am.  He weighed 5 lbs and was 18 inches long.  He shares a middle name with Annette's Grandpa because Grandpa Z is one of my heroes and I want Lincoln to always honor him.  Lincoln has light brown hair.

Lincoln looks a lot like baby Kimball in this picture.

The proud older brother.  Kimball loves to feel independent and pick
up the babies by himself.  It makes me nervous!

Rebecah with Lincoln

Sporting a preemie outfit that Kimball wore.


I'm really awake sometimes, honest.

Annika (pronounced AH- ni-cuh, short i sound, short u sound.) Grace Coffey was born at 9:51am and she weighed 5 lbs too.  If you want to be technical she weighed 2280 grams which was 10 grams more than Lincoln.  She was 19 inches long.  I have always like the name Annika ever since I heard the name in our family history.  And Grace holds special personal meaning for us.  Annika is already feisty and sporting some red hair.

In the hospital.

Eyes open.  You can see some of her ginger hair.


The Super excited I will only hold Annika and occasionally Lincoln, big sister.

Annika is slow on the nursing so we are having to give her little 1 oz bottles of milk.  Here is Joseph feeding her.  I think they are sweet together.  She is "his" baby since he gives her most of her bottles and I nurse Lincoln.  Having Joseph feed her at night has made it so we all get more sleep.

After spending two LONG nights days in the hospital we were able to convince the doctors that we were well enough to be sent home.  The babies were "low birth weight" so they had to have multiple heel sticks to check their glucose levels and have a 90 minute car seat test to make sure they could ride in their car seats safely.  At this hospital babies "room-in" with their mothers and all vitals and tests are administered in the mother's room.  As you can imagine a lot of those tests were done at night.  The first night I think I literally got an hour and a half of sleep.  The second night was a little better, the nurses left us alone more, but the babies wanted holding and holding babies and sleeping at the same time is frowned upon in the hospital.  

My c-section recovery was rough the first day.  I had severe nausea and some vomiting and I had to take 3 rounds of medication before it was under control.  The rest of my recovery is going well.  I'm sore, but after the first 24 hours I have been off all heavy medications and I'm using Motrin and Tylenol as needed.

We are doing well at home.  Each night gets a little easier.  We are tired and go to bed early and sleep as late as Kimball and Rebecah let us.  The babies are a blessing in our home and Kimball and Rebecah love to hold them.


Arriving home!

Sleeping together in the pack n play.  Annika is the one yawning.  They really are tiny.


The only picture I have so far of myself with the babies is this selfie that I took in the hospital
when I was alone with the babies and they both wanted to be held.  Sometimes it's hard
to find time to pose for pictures, but I DO believe pictures are important.














2 comments:

Emily said...

Congrats Annette! They are beautiful!

Chris and Katie said...

Oh I love this post! Those baby are making some of thee cutest faces I have ever seen! Lincoln sure does look like Kimball and I can't believe that Annika also has red hair like Rebecah! So precious! Congrats on your double joy!!