Wednesday, July 23, 2014

St. Louis Science Center

One of the activities that we did once Joseph joined us in St. Louis was visit the St.Louis Science Center.   I was actually really excited about a trip to the Science Center since it was in an air conditioned building and it was fairly hot the day we visited.  I haven't been to the Science Center for 25 years or so.  I didn't remember much about it.  I must confess that I found it rather boring.  Is it horrible to say I found science boring?  It could be that I felt just exhausted that day from staying up a little too late...10:15 and not sleeping well, but I was bored.  Maybe we just didn't visit the right exhibits.

Kimball really enjoyed our time at the Science Center so I was glad.  Really, we do activities like this so the kids can have an enjoyable time, not necessarily so the parents can.  I think the areas we visited were a little above Rebecah's level so she got bored easily.  So much of the Science Center involves reading a card to understand an activity or concept.  I was very surprised how many mothers were there with really small children.  Here are some pictures that we took while we were there.

Kimball standing next to Mars.  He has really been interested in space recently and he can
tell you the 3 necessary components in order for a planet to be considered a planet. 

This was Rebecah's favorite activity.  A laser activated harp.  When your fingers
 passed through the lasers the different notes would sound.

Making a city in the technology center.

Kimball playing a spacial placement game in the technology center.

Kimball was VERY excited to see these two dinosaurs.  His stance says it all.

Joseph pretending to protect Rebecah from the scary dinosaurs.  The dinos moved
and made some noises and Rebecah kept asking if they were real.

Kimball digging for fossils.
These next shots are all in the same area.  I can't remember exactly what the area was called, but it dealt with bridges, pullies, tension, and how backhoes work.




It took some convincing, but just before we left the kids were finally willing to
build an arch.  Their favorite part was knocking it down!

Next to a Blue Angels airplane.

We found more dinosaurs outside.  It was a little bright, but Rebecah enjoyed sitting between the horns.





No comments: