Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Inverted Jenny

I know you are all wondering what an Inverted Jenny is...Well, a few months ago, Kimball and I read an A to Z Mysteries (chapter book series) book called The Empty Envelope.  It was the first time I had heard about an Inverted Jenny.  I later emailed my mom feeling rather ignorant and asked her why she never told me about these rare, priceless stamps.  I consider my mom fairly knowledgeable about bits of trivia so I felt much better when she didn't know what an Inverted Jenny stamp was either...sorry Mom.  

Kimball and I did some research of our own after we finished reading our book and we were surprised to learn that a collectors Inverted Jenny stamp was being produced at the end of 2013.  When I asked about them at my post office the workers there had no idea what I was talking about even when I pointed to the sign posted in the Post Office.  This week my mom surprised me with a sheet of Jennys.  She said she wanted to see them after I told her about them and wanted me to have a chance to see them too.

Here is a little more history on the Curtiss Jenny stamp error.  This is from the envelope that comes with the stamps:
Ninety five years ago, the United States Post Office Department inadvertently printed a stamp with an upside down image of a Curtiss Jenny biplane.  Just one sheet of these stamps was sold before a customer identified the error.  This printing mistake has made the Inverted Jenny one of the rarest and most valuable stamps in collecting history.  Imagine the excitement of finding such a sheet of stamps. 

This sheet of stamps commemorates the 1918 24-cent Invert Jenny stamp.
The sheet of stamps...you had to buy all 6 stamps and couldn't purchase just one stamp.

Check out those upside down planes!


Find out more on Wikipedia about the Invert Jenny Stamp and keep on the lookout for an original!

No comments: