Thursday, May 9, 2013

One Summer Day in Frog Creek, Pennsylvania...

My kids fell in love with the Magic Tree House books in March.  Kimball found them when we were unpacking and I would read 2 chapters at a time when I needed a break.  It didn't take long before the kids had me requesting the books from the library so we could follow the story.

I knew we were addicted to these books when I heard Rebecah quoting from the books when she would "read" them to herself.  It made me realize that certain phrases were repeated many times in the books.  If you have read these books you know that "Jack opened his eyes" multiple times in these short 65 page books.  I LOVE to hear my kids quoting these books and acting out the stories that we read.

Our favorite books.
When we get to the Tree House leaving my kids love to recite that part at the top of their lungs!
"The tree house started to spin.  It spun faster and faster.  Then everything was still.  Absolutely still."

I enjoy these books because they spin true events in these fictional stories for kids.  Reading these books has  helped Kimball expand his vocabulary and improve his reading skills.  The prologue has little variation from book to book so it is Kimball's job to read the prologues to practice his reading.  It has been neat for me to see him pointing out editing errors that I didn't even pick up on until he pointed them out.  I guess that shows who pays more attention to the story line.

It was a good find when I found 2 Magic Tree House books at the library sale for $.50 each.  It was a dollar well spent.  Our total is up to 7 and I'm on the look out for others.

In the last 2 months I think we have only checked out 1 picture book and the rest have been these chapter books.

Reading together.  Sometimes we get through one a day.

I hope my kids will always love reading.  I think reading is one of the most beneficial activities for children.


2 comments:

Holley said...

We love the Magic Treehouse Books! Before Ammon started school full time, I would read to the children for close to an hour a day. We still read daily, but not for so much time. It makes me sad, but I love that Ammon and Alida are both good readers and that the younger ones also love books. Sariah is constantly bringing books to me and I try to put down what I'm doing to read to her. I'm glad you found the magic treehouse. Have you ever read the books about Mr. Putter and Tabby? They are a little younger than the MT, but still in chapter form (although much shorter) and I always enjoy their story lines.

Kelly said...

You are such a great mom Annette!!