Monday, April 18, 2011

Covered in Hives

Last night at dinner Kimball started complaining about being itchy. We at first just thought it was a little itch that would go away once scratched. When the itching started taking over so Kimball couldn't even focus to eat we noticed he had little bumps all over. Within minutes the bumps started growing together in big welts and by bedtime he was coverd in hives.

I have never dealt with hives before but after consulting with my mom, I gave him a bath of cornstarch and baking soda. It really seemed to help for an hour, but after an hour the itching slowly returned. We have also given him children's benadryl and Joseph and a friend from church gave him a priesthood blessing. Thankfully, Kimball slept well last night. He doesn't seem to be nearly so itchy this morning.

Kimball's torso 6:00 pm (it's not a good picture.)


Kimball's torso 8:00 pm



Kimball's torso this morning


Kimball's back this morning.


I think his torso looks a little better this morning than it did last night although the hives have spread down his arms and legs this morning.

If anyone has any ideas on how long hives last or any advice send me an email. My mom and I did a little research last night from the internet, but I still feel clueless about helping my son. We have no idea what could have triggered the onset because he didn't eat anything new or play outside in an area other than our yard.

2 comments:

Holley said...

That's awful!! I hope Kimball is feeling better soon. The only experience with hives we've had is when Ammon took an antibiotic that he ended up being allergic to, and he didn't look as bad as that. Good luck!

Emily said...

I hope by now Kimball is all better. But if not, this happened to my son just last week for no apparent reason and since we were headed out of town that morning we went to the doc and he said to get some benadryl and a prescription of a cortisone like liquid. The hives were gone within 24 hours. I hope you got it figured out though!