Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Taboo Words

I have mixed feelings about Kimball growing up and getting more into movies and the words he hears. He has recently started saying words like: kill, hate, stupid and a few others I can't remember right now. It dawned on me that quite a few of these words he has picked up from Toy Story. I knew it was bou"nd to happen that he would be introduced to words that aren't allowed, but I was naive enough to think it would happen when he started school and not when he started watching movies. Who would have thought a movie about toys would teach him ugly words. We are just trying to teach him which words are okay to say and which ones will land him in time out. The ironic thing is that these words are coming from a boy who didn't learn the word "No" until after he starting going nursery at church and picked it up from another little boy. I know, I know, these words aren't terrible words and at least it isn't profanity, but I don't like hearing these words. Half the time he doesn't understand that they aren't nice words so it's a learning opportunity.

On the flip side it IS cute to hear him quoting different lines from the movie. He'll also quote lines from Cars as well.

1 comment:

Holley said...

We are having a similar experience with "new" words. Thankfully Ammon has picked up very little of them from preschool. What he's picked up from preschool is attitude, but that's a whole different story. It's hard to decide which words to address and which to ignore. I told the kids that we don't use "stupid" (after they started testing it out) and now every time that they ever hear it, they chant together, "You don't say stupid!" Jake wishes I had ignored that one because he's the one they are usually reprimanding! (Not that he goes around calling everything stupid, but when he's frustrated about something and says it, they kids always jump on it.) I am still amazed how easy it is to accidentally teach children to say/do/act in ways that I don't want them too. I'm much more careful now, but it's still hard.