Monday, January 8, 2018

December Events

The end of December and the beginning of January have been so wonderfully busy!  We had a great month celebrating the birth of our Savior during the weeks leading up to Christmas.  Here are some of the highlights from our month:

This sweet lass is now 14 months old.  She is crawling, cruising and sweet as can be.  This month she became very aware of strangers and anyone who isn't family.  Separation anxiety usually started with our other kids much earlier, but it's now a real thing for Edie.

We had our first snow fall.  School was delayed 2 hours one day and canceled another day. The kids love the snow.  The first day Annika only lasted about 5 minutes, but the other times she stayed out longer.  Lincoln loves to be out in the snow and it takes a lot for him to decide he is "done".


Fun around the Carrom board.

Edie and all of the "guys". 

Shepherd Lincoln with his favorite blanket.  Sadly, I had to take it away again because he was sucking on it more than ever.  



I love this drift wood nativity.  We went to an Interfaith Nativity display and it was wonderful!  I loved all of the nativities and it really helped me feel the Spirit of Christmas.


Snuggling.

 
We made all sorts of Christmas treats this month.  The little ones were always eager to help.  I made my Grandpa's peanut brittle recipe for the first time.  It turned out so well.  I will definitely make it every year we loved it so much.  I took some to Grandma Bev and she and her daughter loved it too.  I ended up making a batch just for them.  I think I made 3 batches of peanut brittle within 3 weeks.  



We found out that our dear Grandma Bev has colon cancer.  She is still meeting with doctors and doesn't know the prognosis yet.  I hope she still has many years to be a loving influence for my kids.


I just love how she is content with the simplest things.  She really warms my heart.

With the first snow fall came the first snow fort!  Joseph tweaks his building technique every year and this year he developed a good system.  He spends hours outside working on his creations.


If you look closely you can see "Coffey" on the door frame.

The kids had holiday concerts and recitals this month.  Rebecah had her first piano recital and played "The First Noel" and "Angels We Have Heard on High".  She did very well.  She is so diligent in her practicing.  She was a little nervous, but also very excited.  


Kimball had a holiday orchestra concert at school.  We took video, but forgot to take a picture.  Oops.  The concert was much better than I was expecting and the little ones sat there quietly which helped, too.  Kimball played his cello along with 2 other cellists and Joseph on the violin during our church service on Christmas Eve.  

With the snow comes ski season.  Joseph bought a season pass months ago when it was half price and has already gone multiple times.  


On December 23rd we went as a family to the Joseph Smith Farm in Palmyra, NY to honor and celebrate Joseph Smith's birthday.  It started off raining, but as we walked from the Visitor's Center to the Log Cabin it started snowing.  It was beautiful and truly a wonderful experience.  As we talked with the missionaries in the log cabin I really felt the spirit and Kimball later admitted that he did, too.



Outside the Joseph Smith Log Cabin.

No comments: