The Artz family cemetery is a family cemetery so it isn't kept up--at all. I don't know what I was thinking, but I wasn't expecting 2 foot high weeds over the entire area. It was gross. Joseph was the only one to have long pants and shoes so I didn't let anyone else in the cemetery for very long. I could just imagine all sorts of undesirable creatures lurking in the weeks...Joseph found one too!
Joseph was happy at his cemetery though and took quite a few pictures of the headstones.
Our other two stops were in well maintained cemeteries so they were more enjoyable. Thank goodness it wasn't too hot and humid when we visited.
| Headstone at the second cemetery |
The best part of the trip was seeing Lincoln and Annika go nuts over a little teddy bear statue that was next to the grave of a 2 month old baby. It wasn't a family member of ours, but they would crouch down and hug this little statue. It was precious.
The third cemetery had just one headstone of a husband and wife. Joseph would be able to tell you who all the people were.
I know family history is important, but now that you can see all of these graves on findagrave.com I don't see a need to drag my children to see the real thing. Sorry, ancestors. The only cemetery I take my kids to is the one where my dad is buried...it's 10 minutes from my mom's house so very doable.
No comments:
Post a Comment