Friday, March 20, 2015

It's Spring!

Today is the first day of Spring.  Earlier this week my sister, Heather, told Rebecah that Spring would start today and Rebecah got so excited.  I have never seen someone get so excited about the first day of Spring.  Rebecah would even remind me that Spring was starting on Friday.  Poor Rebecah, she thought that the start of Spring meant she could give up her coats and the snow would melt by today.  I warned her that the snow wouldn't magically disappear so she wasn't too disappointed today.

We had have an interesting winter.  Here were some facts about our winter from The Weather Channel:

February 2015 was the coldest month on record dating to 1903.  The February mean temperature was 9 degrees, the previous record being set in 1934 during the Great Depression.
Second snowiest February with 60 inches.  A least a trace of snow fell every day from January 29 through March 9, a streak of 40 days.
Record 19 straight days with over 2 feet of snow on the ground (through March 9)


Even though we set records and had 5 feet of snow fall in February, I didn't think our winter was as bad as last year.  Last year I did 95% of the shoveling so I knew exactly how much snow was falling.  This year I did only 5% of the shoveling because we bought a snow blower and Joseph did most of the snow removal.   Now that the temperatures are a little warmer the snow has melted quite a bit, but we still have a fair amount still on the ground.  I still love the snow and the winter so no complaints from the New York Coffeys.


These pictures were taken some time in February.



No comments: