Friday, May 16, 2014

Twin Follow Up

I didn't say much in the post yesterday announcing our new arrivals so the surprise and shock could register. I know I was surprised when I found out we were expecting twins.

I'm sure some of you are wondering when I'm due.  My official due date is October 29th.  Twins are considered full term at 38 weeks so that puts me mid-October for delivery.  BUT, I know very few people these days that make it passed 36 weeks so I will consider myself lucky if the babies aren't born in September...definitely not August.  That would be scary.

I'll admit it, I'm scared to have twins.  One of my sisters always wanted twins, but I never did and now I'm getting blessed with them.  I'm nervous that they will come early and they will have to be in the hospital for a long time.  If they are in the hospital, I'm not sure how I will juggle school for Kimball and Rebecah while making daily trips to the hospital where I will stay most of the day.  With Joseph's work schedule it is hard for him to take off more than a week at a time so he won't be able to be home long.  IF my mom can come she will only be able to stay for 3 days and then Joseph's parents just started a 2 year mission to Hong Kong so they won't even be in the country.  I'm hoping I can call in some favors to have help with my kids from my friends.  But if anyone wants to come visit, I don't think I'll turn you away!

Once the babies are home, I'm also nervous how I will manage 2 car seats when shopping.  I guess I will just have to do my shopping when Joseph is home.  I'll just have to change my mind set.  At least Kimball and Rebecah are both old enough to be fairly self-sufficient and don't get up at night anymore or wear diapers.

Seeing the excitement of the kids the last few days has really helped me feel more excited about having twins. We are all hoping to have a boy and a girl to keep things even.  Even if we have two boys or two girls, I don't see myself dressing them alike or giving them "matching" names with the first letter of their name being the same.  It is cute to watch Rebecah "hug" and "kiss" the twins and talk to them.  She also talks about them "popping out" like it will happen in the very near future!  Kimball shows his excitement in other ways, but he has wanted to hug them occasionally.

We will go in for the "big" ultrasound in 3 weeks and hopefully we will know what the genders of our babies will be.

I know some of you are wondering...No twins don't run in my family.  This was a surprise to everyone.

We have scored a free crib from someone we go to church with so that is one expense we won't have.  We will slowly start acquiring the extra things we will need as we know the genders and as it gets closer.

I have been feeling okay.  My poor kids have just learned that "mom's tummy hurts all of the time".  For about 8 weeks I would lay down all afternoon and evening getting up for short spurts as I could.  I just manage my nausea best if I stay horizontal and I have done all in my power to avoid throwing up and the few times I did throw up, I fought hard not to.  My good times are becoming longer, although I still find myself needing to lay down usually 4 hours a day to avoid feeling too nauseous.  I don't have much energy, but I probably won't have much energy for the next few years!  :  )

Hopefully this answers most questions.

2 comments:

Holley said...

I'm so very excited for you Annette. Twins would terrify my too, but I know you'll do great. You've always managed things very well, as far as I can tell! I wish I could come help--why must you live so far?? Anyway, congratulations on your exciting news!

Brenda said...

Congrats! So exciting! And, my Aunt and Uncle are also serving in Hong Kong. They are the Clark's :)