Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Outing to Ithaca, NY

Spring Break started on Friday.  Joseph had worked overnight Thursday night to Friday morning so he had the rest of Friday off from work so we decided to take a day trip to Ithaca, NY.

Our first stop was the Cornell Lab of Ornithology to see some birds.  It has a very nice set up for bird watching at the lake from inside or outside.  There were trails we could walk as well.  We had another hike planned so we did not go far on these paths because we wanted to save the energy for other things.


Kimball and Rebecah on a trail.

The view of the lake.  I'm sure it is much prettier when the trees are covered in leaves.
Spring isn't quite here yet in New York.

Looking for birds.



Our next stop was Buttermilk Falls State Park.  We intended to hike the gorge trail which went right along the waterfall, but this path was still closed because of ice.  We decided to hike the rim trail above the waterfall instead.  Both trails were 3/4 of a mile in one direction.

Rebecah isn't much of a walker so I brought some fruit snacks along to bribe her to keep going.  I rationed her fruit snacks and she would get 1 fruit snack when I could tell she was getting close to the breaking point.  She always broke out into huge smiles when she saw it was time for her next fruit snack.  I was very proud of her for making the entire journey...1 1/2 miles...without too much complaint.  We later saw that the trail was classified as strenuous so it was steep in places. I was proud of myself for perfectily rationing the fruit snacks so we didn't run out before we were finished.  There were only 3 fruit snacks for the return trip, but it was easier for all of us so Rebecah didn't need as much encouragement since we were going down hill.

Kimball taking a quick break.

Pausing for a picture.

Buttermilk Falls

Posing for another picture.


Ithaca is a great place to visit.  There are so many waterfalls in and around the city.  It is a place we want to visit multiple times.  We just wish it were a little closer.  It took almost an hour and a half to get there.  Kimball has been doing some waterfall research since we returned and he has highlighted various waterfalls he wants to visit on our next trip to Ithaca.

We ended our trip to Ithaca by stopping at McDonald's.  The kids were happy and Joseph and I each found something to eat there as well.

No comments: