My aunt and uncle came for a visit over the weekend. I haven't seen Bill and Karen since my dad's funeral, almost 15 years ago. The sad thing about extended family is that at least in my family, we live so far apart that we don't see each other very often so when we get together it is like visiting with strangers even though we are family. Since I hadn't seen Bill and Karen in 15 years I was apprehensive about the visit not sure how it would be and if I would find things to talk about, etc, but the visit was great. They were able to stay for lunch and we had nice conversation and we were able to get to know each other better. I also enjoyed hearing that the house my dad grew up in when he lived in Rochester is still around. One of these days we will make a trip to Rochester to see the house and I'll take a picture of it.
Joseph and I were both pleasantly surprised how excited Kimball and Rebecah were about the visit. Usually kids don't care when unfamiliar family visits, but they loved having the company. Even after Bill and Karen left, Rebecah mentioned multiple times how much she loved having them visit. I think it helped that Karen is a big Disney fan so she talked with Rebecah about all of the Disney princesses and told Rebecah that she had even met the princesses.
I just wish my own kids had an opportunity to see their aunts, uncles and cousins regularly, but with our family so spread out my kids will probably feel like their extended family are all strangers, too.
 |
| Coffey Family with Bill |
 |
| Bill and Karen with Annette and the kids. |
Joseph asked me if Bill looks like my dad and I honestly don't think he does. The closest similarity I could find was in their eyes but it was a stretch. Sometimes it makes me a little sad that Joseph and my kids won't know my dad in this life or won't know an able-bodied Heather. Thank goodness families are forever.
1 comment:
That always makes me a little sad, too. Even the four nieces that were alive before my accident still don't have any recollection of me as an able-bodied person since they were all so young at the time of my accident. Like you said, thank goodness we know families are forever. :)
Post a Comment