Friday, June 1, 2012
Zimmerman Family Reunion
This past weekend I went to St. Louis for our Zimmerman family reunion celebrating my Grandpa's 90th birthday which was in March. I had such a good time. I was very nervous to leave my family at home because I haven't been without at least one of them for almost 5 years. They were fine and even though I missed them, I was fine too.
I had such fun at the reunion. It was so fun to see aunts, uncles and cousins, some I hadn't seen for 12 years.
We didn't do anything earth shattering by any means, but our reunion was what I picture when I think of family reunions. We mainly sat around and talked, heard Grandpa talk about his life and some of his WWII experiences, and ate good food. It was fun to hang out with my cousins. We are all a little nutty and crazy, but that's to be expected since we share the same roots. It's nice to know that we share similar humor.
My sister, Heather, made a slideshow of my grandpa's life. It was really good and I'm glad she put it on YouTube so I could show my kids. Kimball and Rebecah really liked the slideshow and have watched it 3 times. I knew Rebecah really liked it when I overheard her singing "God Will Take Care of You" the hymn that my sister used to end the slideshow, a favorite of my grandpa's. It really is a good song and it's teaching Rebecah an important truth.
My Grandpa really is a wonderful man. I'm so glad he is my grandpa. He is in good health for 90 years old and I would guess that most people would think him younger than he is. It helps that he has been active all his life.
Here are some pictures from the weekend.
Grandma and Grandpa with their living children and daughters-in-law.
L to R: Annette, Rick, Mom, Grandpa, Grandma, Steve, and Jackie
Arizona Zimmermans. L to R: Tina, Aubrey, Rick, David, Joe, Dan, Annette.
If Joseph ever talks me into moving to Flagstaff we won't be with out extended family in addition to Jonathan and his family.
L to R: Jackie, Eric, Lisa, Steve. I hope Kimball and Rebecah grow up as close as Eric and Lisa are. They are BFF and even though they both are adults and college grads they have chosen to live together.
Cousin shot. 12 of Grandma and Grandpa's 15 grandchildren.
Front: Tina, Heather, Aubrey, Joe Middle: Sharon, Chandra Back: Laura, me, Lisa, Eric, David, Dan
Group shot. If my family and the other 3 grandchildren and their families had all been at the reunion the number of people would have almost doubled. That would have been awesome.
Listening to Grandpa answer questions about his life and WWII experiences.
Grandpa's war patches, badges, ranks, medals, etc.
Display of Grandpa's achievements.
Grandpa has been well recognized in Rochester, MN for all of his accomplishments over the years as a school principal and volunteer.
Tina, Matthew and me sharing popcorn.
Grandpa holding the paper rose bouquet that Kristin sent him. I was glad to see the flowers in person since I had heard so much about them.
Grandpa and me. I love Grandpa. I can't wait for our next reunion in 10 years to celebrate his 100th birthday. Longevity runs in the family so there is a good chance Grandpa will make it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)












1 comment:
You know, Grandpa really does not look 90 in that last picture, or in the one where he's in teaching mode! may I follow in those footsteps!
Post a Comment