Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Finally!

For 6 weeks in November into December I had a cold. I would start to feel better and then I would have a relapse. My cold got so bad that I was awake coughing at night more than I was actually sleeping and I had to sleep on the futon so I wouldn't keep Joseph up all night. I could only say a few words before I was attacked with coughs. I got on antibiotics and a steroid and finally felt much better.

One of my last coughing fits left me doubled over gasping for breath to the point I almost had to vomit. It was awful. After that attack I remember my ribs hurting so bad I couldn't breath, play with Cita on the floor because I couldn't stand even her 17 lbs on my chest and I couldn't sleep on my back or my right side without terrible pain. I happen to know a good Orthopaedic PA and I consulted with him. Joseph said that I could have broken a rib or two. He also said that I could go in to get an xray but broken ribs are hard to diagnois and I wouldn't do anything differently than I was already doing to help my ribs.

After 6 weeks of sleeping on my left side--I'm a right side sleeper, always--my ribs are feeling much better. I can breath deeply, snuggle with my children and sleep in any position I want. I just hate to think that my ribs are brittle enough to get broken from coughing.

No comments: