This morning I found an ant infestation in our mailbox. It looked like the ants were moving all of their soon to hatch babies into our box. It was rather disgusting. I wished Joseph were home to deal with the problem. While I was taking care of the ants I discovered a rather large spider. (Since it was on MY driveway it was too close for comfort. I have had some rather unpleasant experiences with spiders over the past 4 years…usually me in the bathroom with spiders. I now have a fear of large spiders.) After taking care of the ants I tackled the spider. Since he was big it took some effort to kill him…he was too big for me to just step on comfortably. I finally broke out the Raid and after two squirts he died.
A friend of mine thought it was probably a small wolf spider…harmless but huge. Here is a picture of it. I threw a pen in the picture to help with the picture scale. It was a cap less Papermate pen.

So, I will happily face a few flies each night in exchange for a mailbox free from ants and no large spiders.