Saturday, December 24, 2016

The Gift of the Magi

I introduced the big kids to The Gift of the Magi, by O. Henry this year.  While I read it to them I realized that the language was pretty hard for them to understand.  Joseph kept stopping me so he could explain what was happening.  I love this story though and I think it will become a yearly tradition to read it as a family.  I have always liked this story as I contemplate the sacrifice the young married couple made for each other out of love.

I came to fully appreciate the sacrifice Della and Jim made for each other when Joseph and I were newly married.  We didn't have much money when we were first married.  We lived on Joseph's student loans and what I could make as a substitute teacher.  Our first Christmas we didn't buy presents for each other.  We went to St. Louis for Christmas and in the excitement of the morning no one noticed that we didn't give each other gifts.

Growing up my family didn't have a lot of money so I learned from a fairly young age to have a modest wish list.  To this day I can think of expensive things I would like--new carpet in my house-- but never put them on my list because I just can't justify the expense.  Now that Joseph and I are better off financially I still have a modest list.  Joseph sometimes gets frustrated with me when I have a short list.  I just tell him that I'm content with what I have and I don't need a lot of expensive things.  I would rather choose to spend our surplus money on those around me that might need it more.  Every so often we have been able to give to someone else and I am happy knowing that I made someone else happy. Those are the gifts that matter to me.

It truly IS better to give than to receive.  I hope I can teach that lesson to our kids as they grow up.

No comments: