Monday, August 18, 2014

Summer Fun

This summer I have tried to do fun things with the kids to give them happy memories of life before the babies come.  We haven't gone or done anything too fancy, but the kids are so happy with the little things.  Joseph and I both agree that while the kids are young and content with smaller activities there is no need to spend the money on fancy outings or vacations.  We'll do that when they are older and can remember the fun adventures.

The Summer Reading Program theme at the library this year is Fizz, Boom, Read.  It is a perfect theme and far more interesting for the kids than the last few years.  Our local libraries planned all sorts of shows and programs that are Science related.  Kimball is really into Science and non-fiction books this summer so this is right up his alley.

One show was put on by the local Science Center.  A lady came and did various science experiments that fizzed, boomed, or popped.  I loved the experiments as much if not more than the kids.  Another show was a juggling show and even though I was so tired the day of the show I still took the kids and I was entertained enough to stay awake.  The two other shows that we attended had animals.  The first one was put on by the Syracuse Zoo.  They brought 3 animals from the zoo for the kids to view...a tarantula, parrot, and a blue-tongued skink.

Try as I might, I never could get a picture of the skink with his tongue sticking out!

The other animal show was put on by Dan the Snakeman.  As the name suggests there were snakes involved.  Dan showed us a variety of snakes that would make good pets, but he also brought out his rattlesnake which still had its fangs and venom sacs.  I was surprised that he had a rattlesnake out in a public place with so many children, but no one was bitten!  He also showed us tortoises, tarantulas, and other strange creatures.  Kimball's favorite animal was the yellow python.  Kiimball was thrilled when everyone who wanted was allowed to touch it. Kimball keeps telling me that it is his dream to own a python or an anaconda!  That sounds like a good pet for an adult Kimball.

Touching the python.

A new ice cream/frozen custard/frozen yogurt place opened near our house recently.  Every time we drive by the kids ask when I'm taking them to get ice cream.  A few weeks ago Joseph was working on a Saturday so I took the kids to get ice cream.  The ice cream was just fair in flavor, but creamy.  On the way home I asked if we should go back sometime.  Rebecah surprisingly responded with a loud "No!"  After further questioning she said that the ice cream was yucky.  She had ordered a mint chip cone and hadn't liked it.  I can't say I blame her.  I am not a mint/peppermint fan, but I took a small lick to see what it tasted like and it had such a strong mint flavor it was like taking a bite of toothpaste.  I reassured Rebecah that if we went back there would be other flavors to choose from.  I was impressed that she ate her entire cone without complaining that she didn't like it.  Kimball enjoyed his cone.


Another weekend when Joseph was gone we went miniature golfing.  This was another activity Kimball has been asking about for a few months.  I opted for the less nice, but cheaper golf facility.  I knew that Rebecah would be hard pressed to go 18 holes and I wasn't about to pay $8 per person for us to play at the fancy place when we could all play at this other place for $7.  I was right, at hole #9 Rebecah decided she was done.  Kimball enjoyed the golfing, although he and Rebecah scooted their balls more than actually hitting them, but that's the beauty of mini-golf...the kids can play how they want.  We were the only ones playing mini-golf so we could take our time without worrying about slowing others down.

Kimball taking a shot.

Rebecah's turn.

All finished!
We plan on attending the State Fair next week.  We are all looking forward to it.  I will be sorely disappointed if my doctor recommends that I stay home.  It was so fun last year and it would be sad to be left out of the adventure.

No comments: